Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a referral?

  • Some insurance companies require a referral; however, most do not. Please check with your individual provider to be sure. Some physicians and other professionals will refer to us, but it is not necessary for an appointment.

What age can I get a psychoeducational assessment completed for my child?

  • Our standardized testing allows us to test children ages 7 and up. Depending on the issue at hand, we may deem it too early to test as we need to be able to see academic achievement and learning issues over time. Early intervention is a huge priority; however we want to make sure we can give an accurate picture of the issue at hand.

What types of payments do you accept?

  • We accept cash, e-transfer, and all major credit cards. We are able to direct bill with some health care providers, please see our rates page for more information on this.

What is the difference between a Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Counselling Therapist and Registered Social Worker?

  • Licensed Psychologists are able to provide psychotherapy services, as well as specific types of assessments and they are able to provide a diagnosis for a client. To become a licensed psychologist in New Brunswick, a person must have either PhD or Psy-D, they must also complete a provincial licensing examination.
  • Registered Social Workers are able to provide psychotherapy services. In order to provide psychotherapy services an RSW requires a minimum of a Bachelor of Social Work degree. At our clinic, however, an RSW must have completed a Masters in Social Work and the necessary clinical supervision hours for New Brunswick Association of Social Workers.
  • A Licensed Counselling Therapist is able to provide psychotherapy services. To become a licensed counselling therapist in New Brunswick, a person must have a Masters level degree in counselling psychology or related field, and go through the licensing process, involving clinical supervision hours with the College of Counselling Therapists of New Brunswick.

Is it covered under my extended health care plan?

  • Most healthcare plans have coverage for psychological services. Some plans will only cover certain clinical professionals.  Please check with your provider to know whether a Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Counselling Therapist and/or Social Worker would be covered under your specific plan.

Do I have to attend in person?

  • Most of our therapists provide video or phone counselling.

Can I bring a support person with me?

  • If bringing a support person with you will allow you to come to therapy sessions, absolutely you can bring a support person with you for as long as you need to.

How effective can therapy be if my child is unwilling to participate?

  • Clinician’s are trained to work with resistant clients; however, there may come a time in treatment when the unwillingness is determined to be too detrimental to therapeutic progress.

I know one of the therapists from my community, can I see that person for therapy or an assessment?

  • It is best to avoid creating what’s called a “dual relationship”, where the clinician has two different relationships with the client.

If you still have questions, please contact us, we’d be happy to help!


KV Psychology & Wellness Clinic offers a full range of therapy services.

Learn More


We offer a wide range of testing services at KV Psychology & Wellness Clinic. Assessments are completed by Licensed Psychologists.

Learn More

NeurOptimal® Neurofeedback

We are so proud to offer NeurOptimal® neurofeedback at our clinic. Developed by two Clinical Psychologists, NeurOptimal® is a type of neurofeedback that is used to help train the brain to function at its best.

Learn More